Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Soaked

Michael sends a big thank you to my Mom for his new rain jacket. It has come in very handy. Things are dry at the moment, but I'm not sure if it's going to stay that way. It rained a straight 12 hours starting at 3/3:30 yesterday afternoon. I mean a steady rain that was an outright downpour some of the time and a drizzle the other, but nonstop rain. It stopped early this morning, which was nice, since I apparently can't sleep when it rains anymore. All of Michael's guys made it in, and most of them live in the mountainous areas, so that's a good sign. I've been listening to morning radio, but have yet to hear of any damage from all this rainfall (I do know who's having birthdays though).

I was watching the local news when they showed the main road downtown getting slammed with waves from the sea yesterday. I've taken plenty of pictures of that, but thought it was funny when the newscaster said that they were recommending people avoid the road if possible, but if you insisted on taking it, "roll up your window and hope for the best."

Guess what else I saw. Michael, Kat, and little Steven (who was the fastest youngster to cross the finish line), getting interviewed for the race/run/walk last weekend! I just emailed the t.v. station to see if there was a way to get a copy of that part of the show, so let's see if I get a response.

It's dry now and the radar is clear over us, but it's still overcast and predictions are for more rain to come over the next couple of days.

There are 3 other worrisome splotches out there. Most of these storms seem to strengthen after they pass us and terrorize the islands west and north of us, so the next one will likely do the same. Still, we could do without any further rain deluges for awhile. I really want to get a rain gauge for next year. One for wind would be fun too. I would think the airport here would have both, but if they do, they're keeping it a secret.