Saturday, April 30, 2011

I'm Gonna be Published!

So it's finally official. I'm gonna be a real author. Last summer, I wrote a book about our sailing adventure and figured I'd just self-publish the thing and let friends and family get a kick out of it. Then I decided, why not send it to a few publishers that specialize in this kind of book and see if I got any takers - that was in October. In mid-January, I was amazed when I got an email from McGraw-Hill asking if I was still interested in collaborating with a publisher. Well, yes, I was as a matter of fact. Luckily, by then I had also finished a major editing job of the book and was ready to send the masterpiece out in full form. The next thing I knew we were going back and forth over contract negotiations and as of yesterday, had a signed contract in my hands. Slap my palm!!! clappy Wahoo!!!

You see a letter like this and you feel like you've been accepted to University all over again. Somebody likes me - they really like me!



I had planned on calling the tome Sailing BY Dummies (instead of FOR) and legally could have gotten away with it, but since M-H normally goes head to head with the publisher for the FOR Dummies series, they didn't want the hassle of a likely fight over it. You'll note the looooong title the book currently is. Not sure if it'll stay that way.



So stay tuned. I'll be putting excerpts out there to wet your whistle and will let you know when it's available for purchase. It's supposed to be out almost a year from now - May 2012.