Wednesday, April 13, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a lot like Summer

Well, here's something we haven't seen in about 4 months - rain!



While the island flora and fauna are breathing sighs of relief, tourism-based companies are not quite as jubilant. We really did need the rain, but this is the last month before most of the cruise ships start heading to the Med instead and tourists enjoy their own warm weather at home. Looks like the worst of it hit south of us though, with Barbados, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, and Grenada suffering from flash floods. It's still pretty ugly down there (active radar), so I hope this weather system gets moving soon.



It's definitely damp in the house. I did laundry yesterday and was determined to keep most of the stuff out of the dryer (friends of ours just had a electric bill of over $900EC - about $340US, that's without a/c!), but some of the clothing is still wet this morning (they'll grow mold before I use that dryer...).



I guess it's not not so far fetched when employees call out "sick" because they don't have anything to wear. Many people don't have dryers, so when it rains a few days in a row, laundry stays wet. Ah, the memories of the old days...



The Nevis Emergency Disaster Management website introduced me to Antigua & Barbuda's meteorological website which is the most accurate weather site for the Eastern Caribbean I've seen so far. I tried to get a live feed to it for the blog, but that didn't work out so I've just added a link to it under Weather on the right side of the main blog page. Of course, right now it says to brace for more rain. No problem - I've got my sweat pants and socks on and threw the blanket back on the bed last night!

It was so humid for my run this morning that even if it had rained on me, I wouldn't have noticed. Drip, drip, drip...