Monday, July 11, 2011

You're Welcome!

So my crime page is getting longer and longer. I have to admit I feel a bit badly about this, as the whole reason I moved the crime page off to the side was that I didn't want it to overshadow what we actually like about St. Kitts, but at this point it's hard to miss. It's a tightrope act trying to highlight the good, while keeping everyone informed of the bad, so I can only hope that anyone reading sees that. We have a right to know what's going on so we can protect ourselves (the FCO agrees). I also think it's important to keep the pressure on the government to actually do something about the negatives. The problems are fixable (if you can turn NY Times Square from the seedy place it was when I was growing up, to what it is today, anything is possible). Keeping them hidden only allows the people in charge to brush the issue(s) under the rug, leaving us as nothing but uninformed victims. I was a bit disturbed to read that even Caricom supposedly wished we'd all shut-up, but that's not the answer guys. Victims realize they're not alone, we all realize there's really a problem out there, and we can all work together to fight back. What's wrong with that? Crime against tourists is rare because the government has made an effort to stop it (well, that and businesses do everything they can to protect them too). If they make that same effort for the rest of us, we won't need a crime blotter.

There are a lot more articles about how fantastic St. Kitts is, and rightfully so. Again, we picked this island out of many after a 2 1/2 year sailing trip, and have no regrets. I think, for the most part, our blog reflects this. Unfortunately, facts are facts, and if you don't like them, then change the mitigating factors - don't shoot the messengers (No, really. Please don't shoot us).