Monday, February 20, 2012

And It's Monday

So Sunday we were determined not to hike, although we did find a place we think we want to hike next... We had a lot of other things to do though, like grocery shop and wade through 200 pictures for the blog, so didn't make it to the beach until about 3pm.  And, hey!! What's this?  That stupid seaweed is coming back! Hrmph. The water wasn't quite as inundated yet, but I'm sulking anyway.



We were quite entertained by the rare but fun waves that criss-cross each other and make a Bellagio-affect. We did our best Pavarotti as the water shot across fountain-like.

Blog.Vegas.com











Ok, so maybe you had to be there.




Some guys were fishing farther down the beach, but I doubt they caught anything.  We haven't seen much in the way of marine life when snorkeling that area.


Our favorite part of the day was this.


That and a huge cheese hoagie sandwich (Michael's specialty) which was delicious. Those bottles are amber diamonds. You know how I don't hesitate to embarrass myself, or mostly Michael, with just about any of our shenanigans? Well, we paid so much for 2 cases of this beer that I'm actually too embarrassed to tell you how much we paid for it. A friend brought some in for us and others and then was surprised at all the unexpected import charges he got hit with. We felt bad for him, so bought the beer anyway, but it will not be happening again. I'm happy that Michael's happy (as am I), but is our happiness priceless? No.  No it's not....

This morning (Monday), Michael's first call (6:30am) was that several company vehicles had been broken into - batteries stolen, etc. Michael actually saw someone's car with a padlock on the engine hood one day - not a bad idea. Happy Monday Mikey! For my Monday pleasure the power went out. It was expected to go out after 8:30am, but it went sooner that that...and it was out for a looong time.  So I decided to try to tackle an ant problem we've been having. I went to town on the kitchen. I emptied every single cabinet and drawer and washed them inside, outside, above, below, etc etc. I washed everything in the cabinets. All of this with almost straight bleach. I cleaned under appliances, inside appliances, above appliances. I mopped. I took out the garbage, I cleaned the garbage pails.  I spent 6 hours doing this. I even sprayed around the cabinets with pesticide that made me cough (I had already tried things like vinegar, cinnamon, pepper, etc.).

Scrubbing the toaster oven is becoming difficult as it disintegrates. I think we paid about $80US for it here (2 1/2 years ago). That's right, the same thing you paid $19.99 for...and now it's rotting.



Guess what? The ants came back while I was cleaning! After I sprayed! Are you kidding me?!  These are weird ants (like they don't actually go for food, the cat food is fine), so I'm not sure what they're after. It's possible that they're termites. They're small and light brown and come from nowhere.  Hrmph. I will find a way to beat these little boogers. Well, the house sure smells clean and the cabinets (and stove and fridge) are squeaky clean, inside and out, so I guess I'll have to be satisfied with that for now. Especially since my back is now killing me and I'm not sure I can get off this couch after I publish this post.

Once I sat down at 5pm and checked headlines, I learned it was President's day (in the U.S).  Oh! Well - here are some interesting tidbits for ya:
  • George Washington's false teeth were not wood, but actually gold, ivory, lead, and animal teeth.  Eew. He was neither a Democrat or Republican as there weren't any parties yet (aah, those were the days).
  • John Adams, a Federalist, played hooky from school and went fishing and hunting instead. His son, John Quincy Adams (a Democrat-Republican), went skinny dipping in the Potomac river once he was president.
  • Andrew Jackson's parrot swore like a sailor and had to be removed from Jackson's funeral due to its potty mouth. What else would you expect from a guy who was drunk during his inauguration (whiskey)? He was also a Democrat-Republican.
  • William Harrison had a pet billy goat. A Northern Whig, he (Harrison) died 32 days into office from pneumonia. I'm not sure what happened to the goat (but I have an idea...).
  • Before Millard Fillmore (a Whig) headed to the White House, he was a fisherman.  One day Fillmore and his crew were captured by pirates and ended up slaving for them for months. He and others finally revolted against the pirates,  recaptured the ship, and brought it to Boston harbor where the pirates were hanged. 
  • Franklin Pierce (1850s) used a law book to "swear in" on instead of a Bible. Can you even imagine such a thing today? Of course, he was a Democrat.
  • Ulyssis S Grant, a Republican, got a speeding ticket for riding too fast on his horse down a city street. His campaign slogan was "Let us have peace."
  • I wonder if Grover Cleveland inspired Woody Allen. Cleveland (a Democrat) became guardian of Frances Folsom when she was 11 years old. Ten years later, the two got married at the White House where she became and remains the the youngest First Lady in the history of the U.S (he was 49).  I wonder if she liked his artificial jaw.
  • Benjamin Harrison was the first president to have electricity in the White House (early 1890s), but refused to use it because he was scared of being electrocuted. McKinley had no such worries with the next invention, embracing the telephone for campaigning (late 1800s). Both gentlemen were Republicans.
  • Woodrow Wilson is the only president to hold a doctorate degree, making him the highest educated president in U.S. history (An elitist! Yes, a Democrat). Somehow he also managed to pass the Georgia Bar Exam despite not finishing law school. (?)
  • Warren Harding lost the White House china in a poker game. Nixon used poker game earnings to fund his campaign. Both Republicans.
  • In John Huntsman style, Herbert Hoover & his family lived in China before he became president.  He and his wife learned to speak Mandarin Chinese fluently and would use it in the White House to prevent others from understanding them. Again - could you imagine this happening today? And he was a Republican!
  • JFK, a Democrat, got into Harvard despite the fact that his own dad said in a "recommendation" that his son was "careless and lacks application."
  • Gerald Ford actually modeled for a cover of Cosmopolitan magazine (long before he was president). Reagan was not only an actor, but a stand-up comedian. Both Republicans.
  • Did you know that you can win Grammy awards for audio books? The Clinton's (Democrats) have 3 between them. I am definitely going to make my book into an audio book...