Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday Minutia

So I started a new workout this week and have had my lack of strength and stamina unceremoniously confirmed. Yes, I've run a half marathon, but I don't feel strong and am still flabby in places (if I give up in my 40s, I'll be a slug by my 70s - I'm too active for that and hope to stay that way). Apparently, my squats, lunges, hill work, and small weight stuff aren't enough and I don't really enjoy running all that much (I miss aerobics). At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I ran into a friend last week who had clearly lost some weight and asked him what he was doing. He lost an impressive chunk of a good-sized beer belly in just 20 days; this was something I'd have to try. I have yet to make it through an entire module without stopping for a break - there are 13 of them and you change them up daily (link to schedule). Who thought 30-40 minutes could feel so loooong? I get tired during the warm-up and am sore all over (traveling push-ups - ugh)! I've never been so relieved to see "recovery" than I was today (and I still trembled through the slow lunges). I'm going to do this solely for 2 months (which is the workout's dare), then reintroduce my runs for some variety and see if that combo is the winning one. Thorne &  I can compare abs in a couple of months. I have to get through tomorrow first....


This is pretty cool. A British company has offered to invest $50 million for a waste-to-energy project here in St. Kitts. Apparently the Kittitian government still has to approve it, but on the surface, it seems like a great idea. Just the trash along the beaches and side of the road alone, should keep the island powered for a year.



As we debated living our home lives in candle light thanks to increasing electricity costs (I look better that way anyway), I just read that the reason our bill went up inexplicably the past couple of months was because the rates went up. It used to be about .38/kWh, but effective as of January 1st, residential consumers saw an increase to .59/kWh for the first 50 kWh; for the next 100 kWh they were charged .65/kWh, and for all kWh exceeding 150 kWh they were charged at .68/kWh. Yep - that would do it. Oddly, the prime minister just said the following at a public meeting: "We must march in order to encourage the government to push forward in bringing Electricity rates down, and move forward with renewable energy such as Geothermal, Solar Energy and Wind Energy."  Um, the PM is the government. Why in the world would he be organizing a march (on Labour Day, May 7th) against himself? Maybe he should petition himself to sign the above waste-to-energy project and ask himself the hard question of why the geothermal project has been held up. I hope he gets to the bottom of this ineptitude and shares the results of his conversation with himself with with the rest of us.

Paw Tracks Divider

Aaaaaw.