Hello St. Kitts
Sometimes it seems like more than just fate is working with
us. For at least the past three years Renee has created and guided you through
the Island Babble website. Because of the site and fate, I met Renee and am
excited to be coming aboard the Island Babble site and babbling away as I learn
the ropes on this Island paradise.
Renee and Michael, as you may well know, have moved back to
the U.S. just a few days ago and will now be starting a new adventure in the
Florida Keys. If I can be only half as humorous and half as entertaining as
Renee then I think we’ll have a great time in Island Babble.
Enough with formalities first let me introduce myself and
how I ended up in the beautiful Caribbean nation of St. Kitts and Nevis and how
I was so lucky to be able to share my experiences with you.
I am Ben Williamson. I am from between Pittsburgh and Erie
Pennsylvania and went to Thiel College and graduated with a History degree and
soon after spent a year in Belgium with the U.S. Army, which I was in for seven
years. I grew up basically on a farm and had a grass-fed beef business and most
recently worked as a newspaper reporter for the local newspaper.
Writing has always been something I’ve enjoyed but who would’ve
thought you could actually be paid to interview interesting people, attend events,
and write about it. I never did. I finally found a career I enjoyed doing and I
found it easier to express myself through written words than through any other
means of communication.
So, you probably wonder how I made it to St. Kitts? Well, my
wife is a veterinarian and has done a lot of International work in Africa. We
were just recently married in December of 2011 and wanted to do something
exciting. Unfortunately, we couldn’t sell our house, buy a sailboat, and sail
away, But we’re in St. Kitts and that’s a lot better than the “rust belt” of
Western Pennsylvania, where it snows horribly every winter and the closest
large body of water is an hour and a half away. Anyways, Julie is starting her
brand new position at Ross University of Veterinary Medicine and I am basically
just along for the ride.
We arrived here only one week ago, so we both have a lot to
learn and I have a lot to write about, so I hope you are ready to read and
experience many new situations along with me. I must tell you all that I’m an
information addict and along with my history interests, my love of the water,
and love of different cultures I t shouldn’t be long before we’re cast into a
lot of interesting situations.
I must tell you how Renee and I met. After Julie received an
invitation to interview at Ross I believe I was on the computer searching for
information about the “possible” move before we even had an answer. I couldn’t
find much of anything about St. Kitts and Nevis anywhere. I wanted a book, an
informative book about the history, the culture, and the people because I knew
nothing about the country and frankly had never heard of it. After searching
the web forever I came across the Island Babble blog. Before I even read an
entire post I saw Renee’s advertisement for her book. So I ordered it that
minute. It arrived quickly and I read it quickly. I honestly first went to the
St. Kitts section of the book first because that’s what I wanted to find out
about, but once I read the story I was hooked. So only by chance did I find
Renee on facebook and our time, through chance helped us meet up only a few days
before her and Michael left. My biggest concern about being here was not having
anything to do, but now I’m pumped to be able to continue writing and learning
at the same time.
So for today I will close but before I do, I want to let you
all know that I plan on keeping most of Island Babble the same as has always
been. As a historian, a reporter, and new resident I plan on bringing you some
new information about a lot of varying subjects. I was only here three days and
was already out on an island Hash, my first ever. I want to jump into the
culture of a place I find fascinating because of the history, its location, and
its people.
I also want to share with you the many events taking place
here. I will be the first to tell you that I’m not here to just sit on the
beach and sun myself. There’s a lot to see and do here and we’re going to find
it. The last thing I want to do is get “rock fever” which I’ve heard does
happen after coming from a country of 300 million to one of 39,000. Stay tuned.
I will leave you with some pictures of myself and Julie and
soon I’ll blog about how you move an entire house full of belongings from the
U.S. across the Caribbean to St. Kitts. I’ll also give you a firsthand look at
what I’ve learned about Kitts already and how I’m adjusting. Til, next time.
Feel free to email me with any questions and friend me on facebook because that's how I found the information and tools to be able to do this. Thanks.
my email is jeffben19782003@gmail.com or jeffben19782003@yahoo.com





Welcome to SKB
ReplyDeleteWelcome to St. Kitts. I look forward to reading about your on island adventures.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to St. Kitts Ben & Julie! My daughter is a 4th semester veterinary student at RUSVM and before she left for her adventure into grad school and international travel, I was turned on to Renees' blog and have followed it ever since. I was in St. Kitts last Feb and met Renee & Michael. They are wonderful people and I'm glad for them to have the opportunity to move onto a new phase/adventure in their lives. I'm glad that she found you (or you found her?) to carry on her blog - I will read it faithfully every day to see what you're learning and enjoying on St. Kitts. Good luck, enjoy and I am so looking forward to reading your posts. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteMary
HI Ben,
ReplyDeleteI look forward to reading your Island Babble updates. Welcome to St. Kitts to you and your spouse (though I am not actually there, myself! I read this blog as a way to stay connected between my visits). I hope you both enjoy your time in the Federation.
Good luck, Ben -- looking forward to following you here, and also perhaps getting some Ross Vet School updates! I sent an email to your gmail account as well!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to St. Kitts! We sailed around the Caribbean with Mike and Renee...I look forward to reading your impressions of island life!
ReplyDeleteKristen
Looking forward to seeing St Kitts through your eyes! It is great you have taken over this blog.
ReplyDeleteCeleste in New Orleans