Sunday, May 5, 2013

How to Hang a Hammock.

We've been living in St. Kitts for a little over seven months now and things couldn't be better. Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, where my wife teaches, had their semester break for the last two weeks and unlike most students and faculty we decided to stay on-island for the break.

I've been dabbling in many aspects of island life and it's difficult for me to keep up with everything, but that's how I like it. It's sometimes not easy living in a perpetual vacation spot when you're not on vacation because you still have to maintain all the essential daily life jobs at the same time, like hanging a hammock.

Just before the break began i decided to buy a hammock for our porch and hang it. This wouldn't be too difficult in the U.S. because chances are your whole house isn't made of solid concrete as it is here. I never even really used a hammock before but it sounded like a must have item for the Caribbean, right?

I quickly googled how to determine the height of the anchors for a hammock and found this great site that you could plug all your variables into and, "voila" perfect hammock. This is the site: http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator.html

You have to love this image from the site:

Now doesn't he look comfy. lol

To make a long story short, I did have to re-drill and move both anchor's holes because the site's calculations didn't work for my first position. As soon as you sat down in the hammock it stretched all the way to the porch floor.

Who knew that you'd have to work so hard for something you're supposed to be able to enjoy. Can you say hammock hanging Fail!

It did turn out nicely after moving the anchors up and I did get some practice drilling concrete, which I didn't really need. I must say that a hammock is the way to go if you want to relax, but I haven't used it much yet. It is there if I get time to relax.

Below is a picture of Julie making good use of the hammock and Kermit making good use of the lounge chair.



Kermit doesn't really like being in a hanging bed but we caught him specifically for this shot:


So my advice is to definitely get a hammock but make sure you hang it higher than you think you'll need it, and don't let your wife know about it or you may not get to use it. :)

Stay tuned for the next blog post where I explain how we spent our break on beautiful St. Kitts.