Saturday, September 24, 2011

We Did It! Brimstone Fortess Hill Run 2011.

After not getting hit by space junk last night (it fell in the Pacific), we decided to celebrate by participating in the Brimstone Hill Independence Anniversary Run for the Fit and Fearless early this morning. I'm not sure how fit or fearless we were, but figured why not? It started at 7am, so we had to get up early - here comes the sun...


This is what we'd be climbing (about a mile). Oy.



The girls looking quite chipper before the run.


The guys got to go first because they're considered more competitive. Last year organizers told a very competitive Kat that women just like to hang back and chat, so they go last. Hrmph.



Then the women.


It wasn't long before many were walking. Were they gabbing? I'm not sure.


I can tell you that neither I nor Heather were. We kept a good jogging pace together. There's something quite satisfying about passing all those people that sprinted in front of you earlier. Luckily there were some sections that were slightly flatter giving us a place to catch our breaths, which was a good thing because right when we thought we were near the top...



It got steeper. Really steep. There were no more pictures because I was determined to keep running (we were catching up to the guys who had started several minutes before we had) and couldn't do both (and yes, we did pass a couple of guys). While we didn't get any pictures of ourselves at the finish, we kind of looked like this (except we were sprinting).


Look at all these hard core runners/walkers and their awesome surroundings.



No seriously, look at these views! I love the Fort.



Then it was time for the awards. The cool part is that they go all the way to 5th place so you just might actually get something. Here was the overall winner (in green), who finished in 9 minutes and 20 seconds (incredible). He's part of the SKN-AAA group, so they must be doing something right.


Unsurprisingly, Kat came in first for all the females for the 2nd year in a row (about 12 minutes).


She was followed rather closely by this munchkin (under 12), who came in 2nd for the females in all age groups. Pretty impressive.


Michael came in 5th for our age group (35 to 49) and got a bit of cash. Not bad for a guy who doesn't exercise other than hashes every 3 weeks.


Heather came in in first for her age group (over 50)


Now this guy has been passing me on my hill run in the mornings and I wondered if he would be doing Brimstone. Yep - he won his age group (over 50) for the 4th year in the row.


How did I do? I got 2nd place for my age group (I think Heather & I did it in about 16 minutes). Wahoo!! Check us out!


Look at this loot! If you placed 1st-3rd, you got a medal, t-shirt, and check (voucher) so I won my first medal ever! Only took me 45 years and an "age group" category to get it, but I'm proud of it anyway.


Of course, once it was all over, we still had to walk back down! Can you see how steep it was? At least it was shady most of the way.



I loved these two kitty sentinels just outside one of the guard houses.


And then we were done!  ZIZ will probably air it eventually, so if you want to see it from their point of view, you can check back on their website.

Assuming tropical system Ophelia's passing doesn't cause the seas to build up in The Narrows between Nevis & St. Kitts there's still the kayak race tomorrow, so we'll at least go and cheer on the participants.


It may seem crazy, but you have to off-set the beach bar action with something healthy. Plus we're helping out good causes. Next weekend will be the St. Christopher Children's Home Run (5K).


Now it just might be time for a nap, however.