Thursday, November 10, 2011

Another One

I was going to whine about having another birthday, but then I re-read that story about the texting accident and decided that I should just be thankful and shut the heck up. As it is, my Mom went through a lot of trouble to give me such a day to celebrate, so I owe it to her to appreciate it. So instead of complaining, I took a look at what things were like the year I was born.

The average cost of a new house was $13,600.  Too expensive for you? Well, you could rent then for an average of $118/month.

Average income - $6,450 (!!)

Your $2,650 car cost about 31 cents per gallon to fill up and cars were getting about 13 miles per gallon.

You know how we've been trying to keep the DOW Jones Average above 10,000 for the past 8 years? Back then it was just under 1,000.

Warren Buffet's Berkshire-Hathaway shares were at $18 a share.  Today? Just over $113,000!!!

Lyndon B Johnson was president of the USA. For some reason the sound of that makes me feel ancient.

I still can't believe Medicare was started that year and might not be available to me on a later birthday despite the fact that I put lots and lots of $ into it (entitlement program, my a**).

Race riots were still going on, Malcolm X was shot, Martin Luther King was still marching on. There was hope on the horizon though, when African Americans finally got the guaranteed right to vote (and then proceeded to not vote in most of the elections  thereafter).

Ranger 8 and 9 brought us back our first pictures of the moon. Two humans took their first floats in space (first a Russian, then an American).

The Beatles and the Grateful Dead were the bands du jour.

CD's were invented.

I think our security forces might be giving a thumbs up the discovery of Kevlar.

Believe it or not, the internet was also invented in 1965.  Thank goodness, because I couldn't survive without it. 

Although I've since had Lasik surgery, I have to give a big shout out to whoever invented soft contact lenses, as they would save me from being any nerdier than I was in high school.

We just won't talk about the fact that hand-held calculators still didn't exist or that it would be another 4 years before someone used the first ATM...

Yep, A lot has happened in the last XX years (you do the math, I don't want to say the # out loud). Let's hope there are lots more to come.