Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Making of Movie Star




Lookie what we have here! Turtle (leatherback) tracks!




A nest!



Protection! They ended up with some pretty nice digs there. I'm guessing when the time comes, the fence will be removed so the munchkins can make it down to the ocean.

Note that we are going to have an island-wide power outage from 4am to 2pm on Sunday. That means no internet for those of us without generators. Most hotels have generators so if you're staying in one, you probably won't notice a thing. The rest of us however...unplug your stuff!



http://www.aroundtheworldradio.com/video.jsp
I had my second radio interview Thursday. Look, there's Mikey and Shaka enjoying a sundowner in the Bahamas. You'll note that "Loading" note is all I get to look at (%#* internet), hopefully you'll have better luck if you're interested. Once again, I was wishing I'd done better afterwards. I've figured out my problem with these things...my complete lack of control.
I have no idea what subject the hosts are going to find interesting - sailing inexperienced? the boat itself? the cruising lifestyle? the islands? how we chose St. Kitts? - and most seem to be enthralled by the inexperienced part. My issue with this is that we were only "inexperienced" until, well, until we weren't, and the majority of the book is a funny look at what it's like to live as a full-time cruiser. I'd like to give a shout out to the islands we visited. I want to talk up why we decided on St. Kitts. I'll take any one of these. But I don't get to. I have one more interview to go, in May, and I'm going to send the producer an email and ask her if we can talk about these things. Maybe I have more control than I think. I kind of feel for anyone who has to do this all the time and who pins their entire careers on the outcomes. It's scary!

So... I decided to control my message by making another video (the first one was just an audio behind some photos). I actually read The Whale incident after a pazillion takes last Friday but decided it was too long and tried again yesterday.  It still took a pazillion takes, but is only 3 minutes long. Turn down your volume people.



Yes, it's a bit amateurish, but...well, that's me. Maybe the publisher will make it look a bit better. I did my part. Here's what it takes to do this. A green "screen" or sheet. No wind - which means closed windows and doors (sweat rivulets down your chest and back...). You should have a spotlight, but I don't. Add whatever photo you want behind you. Then with Mac's Photo Booth, you can "drop" the photo behind you and pretend you're somewhere else.



This becomes difficult because if you don't have the lighting just right, you get little pockets of "green" in the midst of your fake background (shadows and movement matter). You can see one to the left of the shark (among other places). It's not perfect, but then again, neither am I. It's all good.

It's worth it because I'm still getting fantastic feedback from not only friends, but total strangers. I'm feeling particularly proud about all those who plan on using the book in order to prepare themselves for cruising. The reason I wrote A Sail of Two Idiots was because we were pretty much in the dark about what cruising entailed and things were more difficult than they had to be because of it. Sailing classes (necessary for sailing) don't teach you this stuff.  The book is crossing over to non-sailors because so many people think sailing off toward the horizon is so romantic and they're getting a good laugh at what it's really like out there. A laugh at our expense, just the way I wanted it. I'm pretty sure my radio days are limited though.

Ok you're done. This message is for Facebook. It's imperative I get this out of my system.

FACEBOOK ARE YOU READING?! I AM OPEN TO CHANGE, BUT TO BE FRANK, I WAS NEVER ALL THAT IMPRESSED WITH YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE. THAT SAID - YOU CAN NOT FORCE US INTO TIMELINE AND NOT PROVIDE AN OPTION FOR FUTURE DATES (PINNING ONE ITEM DOESN'T CUT IT). MY ENTIRE FACEBOOK PAGE IS DEDICATED TO FUTURE EVENTS (WHICH I LEARN ABOUT AT VARYING TIMES) AND I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT THEM AHEAD OF TIME.  WHAT IS YOUR OBSESSION WITH THE PAST? I CARE ABOUT NOW! I CARE ABOUT TOMORROW! ALL MY POSTS ARE EATING EACH OTHER UP AND SCREWING UP EVERYTHING I AM TRYING TO DO. HOW HARD IS IT TO MAKE A FEATURE TO LET US DRAG OUR POSTS UP AND DOWN THAT NIFTY LITTLE BAR YOU HAVE IN THE MIDDLE? HOW ABOUT LETTING US DECIDE HOW MANY POSTS WE WANT TO SHOW BEFORE YOU RELEGATE THEM TO THE HIDDEN "RECENT POSTS" WHICH ARE REALLY MY FUTURE POSTS?! YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW OR WHERE I WANT THESE PLACED. YOU ARE NOT ALL-KNOWING. IF I HAVE TO USE THIS STUPID SOCIAL NETWORK WEBSITE IN ORDER TO BE RELEVANT, THEN LET ME HAVE CONTROL OVER IT BEFORE YOU BECOME IRRELEVANT!!!!!

GOOGLE+ ANYONE?