Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gloomy

It might be a long weekend (Labour Day Monday), but it's been raining since Thursday night, so that's dampened a number of planned activities. Gloom every which way.



So what else is happening? Check it out! Our first tomatoes. Everything else is taking forever to grow, so it was nice to finally have something to show for our efforts (mainly Michael's efforts).


Another "finally." My books! I've got 110 books ready to go for Thursday's book signing at Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack.  I have to work on a poster next and have recruited some friends to help me set up. Very exciting!




What else? Well, what else do you do when it's raining? You go to the movies! It's been a while, so I was kind of looking forward to it. We decided to see The Avengers because we had never heard of the other movies and I'd rather slit my wrists than see The Three Stooges (who thinks they're funny?!).  Sweat shirt? Check. Salt shaker? Check.



What? Popcorn must have salt. Lots of it and the theater never has any. Yummy.

I have to admit that I didn't have high expectations for this movie, but was pleasantly surprised. I was a little irked we had to see it in 3D which made the cost $20EC (about $7US), but whatcha gonna do? I think it would help if you've seen Thor, this is almost a sequel to it. It's almost a sequel to any of the latest Marvel Comic movies, but the plot is pretty much where Thor left off. I am a huge fan of Ironman, love Robert Downey, Jr. in the role, and I loved him in this too. The posturing between the "team" is realistic and there's a scene that has to go on my top three ever (my first is Ripley going after the Alien). What the Hulk does to the bad guy is fantastic, funny (cartoonish even), and shockingly violent in a strange sort of way. It goes on long enough that you're left laughing, shaking your head, and wondering if you're really witnessing what you're seeing. When most movies always have to have huge explosions or high-tech killing machines, and that's what this movie has most of the time, this scene is so unexpectedly not that that it's perfect. Anyway, everyone walked out satisfied (this was probably the most crowded the theater's ever been - which means it was half full).

Tomorrow, supposedly more rain.