Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It's Almost Here!

The clouds and drizzle did last through yesterday and until early afternoon today (Tuesday). I am happy to say that the sun has popped out and Michael & I are doing jigs in our respective locations. With high hopes, I worked on my posters for Thursday's book signing at the Shack.



Unfortunately, Crown Weather is raining on my parade at the moment and predicting some cruddy weather for us on Thursday, but they've been wrong before. This would be a good time to be wrong again. Although we had cloud cover all weekend, the worst of the moisture hit those south and east of us. Not that I want the islands there to keep getting wet, but if the future stuff stays to the east too, then we might be in the clear. If it does rain (hard), I'll have to move the date to Friday....Saturday....Sunday - whenever we're not getting poured on. I'll keep everyone informed. Note that whenever it happens, anyone who buys a book, will get a free drink (local beer or well drink - no premium stuff) to celebrate their (or my) good fortune. We have Mr. X to thank for providing said free beverage. Yay - X!

Note that Mr. X is planning on shaking things up on his normal Thursday nights too. It's cool that he happened to be implementing this on my "day," but this is all him: He's adding an "African" drummer to not only set the mood (sometime between 6 and 8), but play for the FireMan. He's hoping to move the Fireman up to 8pm. Then the local bands will play for the rest of the evening. Early arrivals will enjoy one complimentary rum punch served in a coconut until there are no more.

If all the planets align properly, we'll see how all this goes.

You might remember that a rather large dead snake was found recently in Frigate Bay. Alert blog readers, one of whom identified himself as the founder of a "reptile geek organisation" (the Swedish Herpetological Society) way back in the day, unequivocally identified the snake found here as yellow rat snake (thank you to the Seascape Villa folks in Nevis for making the i.d.). I'm not scared of snakes, so it didn't bother me, but it's still nice to have it confirmed that this was non-poisonous.
I still think it belonged to a student or something. Now, if someone tells me a brown recluse spider is on island, I might be packing (a friend from NYC is still sporting a deformed cheek because of one). The only reason I'm not freaking over the tarantulas here is because we had them in Arizona and know that they'll avoid humans at all costs and have to really be provoked to react violently. Yes, I know this personally, albeit not intentionally.

P.S. We have guests coming and they want to do a few things we haven't done yet, so stay tuned for some out-of-the-norm posts over the next few days. I'm looking forward to breaking out of our monotony as well, but am exhausted just thinking about it. My mind says "let's go!"; my body says "to bed." This is what happens when you wake up at 4am every morning and can't go back to sleep - every, single morning no matter what...Zzzzzz.