Thursday, August 9, 2012

Are we there yet?


We've got our reservations made (we leave Monday, August 27th) and our cats shot (you know, vaccinated and microchipped), and have notified property management. I'm still a bundle of nerves. This is the least prepared I've gone into any trip I've ever done - and I've criss-crossed the States 4 times, sailed down the Caribbean, and lived in St. Kitts for 4 years.

Michael's pretty confident about it all, a first, but I'm not quite feeling it so appreciate the encouragement and enthusiasm we're receiving from all of you. A lot of you are saying that we've found a good fit for us, even if we don't know it yet, so for once in my life I'll have to take someone's word for it. As you all know by now, I'm not good when things aren't in my control (or my perceived version of it anyway), or when I feel unprepared (despite knowing that most of the time things don't go as planned anyway), so this is a double-whammy. On the one hand, I want to throw up; on the other, I want to gorge myself on comfort foods (pizza, Fritos, popcorn....). So far, I've restrained myself from doing either. The good news is that in just 18 days, it'll be over...or just starting...and there will be no more anticipating, just doing. That's good - right?

Other than finding a terrific island to live on for 4 years and making some great friends (including you), I think our Jacumba trip paid off for me in the form of A Sail of Two Idiots and any doors that might open from its publication. I think it's about to pay off for Michael with his upcoming opportunity. A new friend told me that a lot of times we don't realize we've been taking baby steps toward something until we get to our destination. Despite feeling aimless during the journey, we look back and realize we were heading someplace specific all along. I absolutely see that in many things I've done in my life and appreciate the sentiment going forward as well.


FYI, Liz Pereira of Pereira Tours St. Kitts will be taking over my Island Babble Facebook page, so until I leave we'll both be tossing upcoming events on there. She & I were already grabbing this info separately, so it makes sense we join forces (better late than never) and that she be the one to take it completely over in a couple of weeks. She's also picking up and continuing the Calendar and Map, so no one can say they didn't know what was going on (although they will say that anyway). Although I'll probably stop posting to this blog in about a month, I'll probably leave it accessible for a year or so. It's still got a lot of of good info (even as it grows dated) for anyone wanting to visit, so why not? Plus, if you get a case of the miss-me's you can go back and remember the good ol' days.