Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Back on Island, New News and Tropical Storm Dorian

Well Hello Everyone,

I am back on the beautiful island of St. Kitts again. I was on another much larger island—Ireland for two weeks so I've been out of the loop for bit.

Courtesy: http://uclafacultyassociation.blogspot.com/2011/03/ucop-regents-out-of-loop-here-is-way-to.html
There hasn't been a lot of new developments here that I found interesting to write about and quite frankly I don't think everyone is interested in hearing what amounts to an online journal of my boring life, at least that's my opinion anyways.

I've also been quite busy with some work at Ross University as a simulated client. What is a simulated client? Well, to make a long story short, it's a paid actor or actress who owns a pet and brings that pet into Ross for a variety of reasons, depending on the case or role.

Courtesy: http://vintageprintable.swivelchairmedia.com/art-and-design/animal-animal-acting-human-pig-fox-vraious-school-rules-beard-4/
It is all part of the communication curriculum aimed at giving veterinary students practice at interacting with real clients and their pets. Many or all human medical schools do similar work with actors and actresses, but I think our job is more fun because we have a simulated pet, oftentimes a stuffed animal with often humorous problems or maybe we ourselves are just, well "unique" people.

Also keeping me busy is the amazing news that my wife and I are expecting our first child, a little girl in October. I wish I could think of what else to explain how exciting that is into words, but I can't. Life is going to change immensely but it will be for the better since it's what we planned and wanted for some time.

As a person who likes to work with my hands, I had to get to work painting our extra room and turning it into a nursery. I think it looks great but it's not finished yet.

Before   

After

As I said, enough about myself. What's important for St. Kitts at the moment is that an air mass that I've been watching for a few days has finally developed into a tropical storm. Dorian is the fourth named storm of the season. The area has been quiet, except for a storm over a week ago that luckily fell apart before reaching St. Kitts.

Dorian is a long ways off and is traveling at only 21 miles per hour and according to the image below, it looks to be petering out by the time it reaches us, but you never know. As the water temperature gets hotter and the winds slow down we'll surely see more storms developing.


It looks like the soonest it will be in our area will be Sunday morning or Monday.



In the meantime just be aware of what is heading our way by daily reading and checking these websites:

www.stormcarib.com


http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I will get some pictures up from my trip to Ireland on the website soon too. It took me three days to upload all the photos I took, so you shouldn't be disappointed. (I love taking pictures.)

 Til next time.