Friday, June 13, 2014

Someone New to Island Babble Blog

Finding my way to St. Kitts & Nevis

The ice is slippery, the cold rain chilling, the frigid air closing my sensitive lungs, the short days and long dark hours dreary and hard. The answer to these dilemnas, move to a warmer place closer to the equator. 

But wait I also don’t want the materialism, the fast paced, the who is who and the long highways to destinations or the escalators taking me onto platforms and into spaces all displaying things. Things I don’t want, but might need in this large place I call home.

Small, small is what I am after, small and real and warm in all aspects of life. I search, I visit place after place to find my small. I think I find it and I move. Nope that small was not small enough. I start visiting more places, I am not finding it. I visit some more places and move again. Nope not right either and then something so extraordinary happens. Upon one of my departures from one of these places I visit I actually become physically ill.

My stomach is in knots and my heart is breaking all the while the plane is taking me away. I watch my loves scenic green hillsides fade away in the distance. I am thinking OMG, I don’t want to leave. I never want to leave this place again. The irie, the spirit, the smiles, the culture, the heritage, the pride, it is overwhelming me. I am screaming inside please turn this plane around and take me back! Take me back to the place I fell in love with. This is what St Kitts and Nevis mean to me. It is my heaven, my safe place, my happiness, my health. It helps make me whole.

Walking Timothy Hill  My First Few Months Here 2008.
View from the top.
The warm moist breeze heals my lungs, the bright year round sun heals my heart and the friendliness of the people heal my soul. Each and every day I hear my name (Heidi) being called as I drive down the roads of St Kitts. 
A warm smile and wave as I turn to see who is making me smile! 
I am humbled and honored that I have been able to spend the past seven years in this beautiful Federation and can only hope there are many more to come. 



I moved to St Kitts in 2008, but fell in love with this place in 2002 while visiting my twin sister attending Ross Vet School. I am a trained teacher, a business owner, a lover of photography, and a published childrens book author, all hats worn at the same time in my recent endeavors. Living the Beach Life is just one of many series of books I hope to create with Caribbeanreads Publishing while living my happy life in St Kitts.


My goals as a contributor to Island Babble are to share useful information, thoughtful perspectives and captured moments on camera from the beautiful Federation I adore.
 


Now that you know a bit about me I am going to end this post and get on with composing my second Island Babble Blog Post.

Until next time. I hope you are all enjoying the quiet peaceful month of June.
Cockleshell Bay, St Kitts 2011