Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bananas!

So what do you do when your spouse brings home a bunch of 9 bananas and your friends give you a huge bag of little bananas from their tree? Start peeling!






We managed to eat a few before they started getting really soft and then I had to get a bit more creative. I, of course, made a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Then I mixed together some bananas, yogurt, and some frozen fruit and poured the mixture into the popsicle thingies my Mom sent and stuck 'em in the freezer. I poured the overflow into a bowl so I could eat some frozen fruity yogurt the day after Thanksgiving when I'm feeling a bit...satiated.

I took a few bananas and just froze them for future concoctions.







Now, I don't cook. If I can't make something in the microwave, then I don't make it. I can pop popcorn kernels using a paper bag, can make some great mashed potatoes, and even make an entire breakfast in the microwave (and a toaster oven - toast mode only). However, a friend (Pat) convinced me that making banana bread was easy (in a real oven) so I tried it once. It was easy and was quite a success. This time, I had so many bananas I decided to try muffins too. Jack in the cabinet, always helpful.

First of all - how can 2 recipes for the same thing be so different? I found two banana bread recipes figuring I'd just convert one to muffins (internet gurus told me I could just cut the cooking time). They were both supposed to make a scrumptious loaf and used the same exact ingredients. Yet, somehow, one used only 1 egg, 5 pats of butter, and 1 1/2 cups of flour. The other one used 2 eggs, a whole stick of butter, and 2 cups of flour. Seriously, how is that?

I was glad to notice this nice range of flour use because I had quite a shock when I noticed something about my dry-stuff measuring thingies. I accidentally poured some flour into a 1/2 measuring cup and when I went to pour the flour into the cup size, guess what? It filled to the top so was the exact same amount as what was in the 1/2 measuring cup. ??! I ended up using a measuring cup for liquids so I knew I was getting at least around 1 cup and was glad that this didn't seem to be a recipe where it mattered. I used so many bananas in each recipe, that maybe that'll overcome any doughy-ness. That entire stick of butter, might help too.

So homey looking and the house smells good too. There's my baking for the year...How's it taste? I have no idea. I don't eat (or crave) this kind of stuff (nor did a muffin "accidentally" fall apart) - I'd rather save the calories for two helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy - so am waiting on Michael to come home and eat a muffin. Then we'll know if we're embarrassing ourselves by bringing them to someone's house (friends with a little kid invited us over, so hopefully it'll satisfy the munchkin's sweet tooth). Michael can take the loaf with him to work. He'll eat anything and is the size of a praying mantis, so he'll be happy. Thanks to Pat & Steve for the bananas. Next time, I'm going to make banana daiquiris with them (no cooking)!

We've got a big bash to look forward to tomorrow and will probably be surrounded by more food than I've seen since the Italian side of my family used to gather together for the holidays. Everyone will have to yell and laugh really loud so I get all nostalgic. Have a great Thanksgiving to my American readers!
turkey-1