The good news is that he's Canadian and can get treatment covered - the bad news is that he has to get to Canada from St. Kitts first (via Medevac). ASAP. There is a fundraiser being held for him tonight (Saturday 12/17) at 7:30pm at the Bamboo Lounge (entry $20EC). They're having an auction, raffles, etc. with many dinners at great restaurants up for grabs, catamaran trips, jewelry and much more. All drinks have been donated, so everything will go to help Bruce. I saw on Facebook that many individuals and local businesses have already stepped up and that certainly gives me warm and fuzzies (I'm even tearing up a little). Here are the folks that have offered both raffle, auction, and donated items at such short notice:
- Christophe Harbour - dinner for two
- Bombay Blues - 10 Individual vouchers for lunch buffet (Sundays)
- Stuart Fry (Fry Air Conditioning) - Chigo 12,000 BTU split A/C system valued at $1,800
- Reggae Water Sports - guided or unguided Hobie Cat for 2 hours - valued at US $200.00
- Reggae Beach Bar & Grill - lunch for 2
- Carambola - dinner for 2 (excluding drinks) valued at US $55 per person (amuse bouche, starter, main, dessert and petit fours.
- Mr X's Shiggidy Shack - dinner for 2
- Ottley's Plantation 2 nights accommodation with breakfast (minimum bid US $200). They're also providing various hand crafted jewelry by Donna
- Round of Golf at the Royal St. Kitts Marriott Golf Course for four.
- Blue Water Safaris - catamaran trip for two
- Serendipity - dinner for two (value $200.00)
- Ballahoo - dinner for two
- Spicemill- dinner for two
- El Fredo's - lunch for two (value of EC $100.00)
- IC Jewellers - $100 voucher for their store.
- Marshall's - dinner for two.
- Rock Lobster - dinner for two
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort Breakfast for 2 at Calypso Restaurant (Value US $50.00)
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort Dinner for 2 at their Italian Event (Value US $70.00)
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort Tickets to New Years Eve Event for 2 (Value US $270.00)
- Sugar Bay Club 3 nights accommodation
- 15 cases of beer - Carib Brewery
- 1 case beer - Sian and Matt Hudson
- 1 case beer - Kathy Kaesmacher
- 1 case beer - Mike
- 1 case beer - Cynthia Maxine Goransrud and Obo
- Beer - Shipwreck bar and Grill
We're all checking our coverages to see if we have similar transport should we need it. Scary stuff. Someone we know who wasn't covered supposedly just got a plan for $10/mo. Pretty reasonable for peace of mind. You parents with kids at University here, might want to check into this as well. While they may be gov't covered (if British, European, or Canadian) or on your health insurance (until 26 if in the States ), they might not have coverage to get them back to wherever you are if something major happens. Just a thought.
On a completely different note (I started with this earlier in the day), I'm also letting you know the government's going to waive 10% of the VAT on December 22nd (a Thursday). We'll "only" have to pay 7% on goods we buy locally - including food, hardware goodies, etc. for 24 hours. It doesn't include services. Here are the details (SKNVIBES). Guess we'll go grocery shopping that day. Hopefully the gas stations will have fuel again by then...
Here's another video to get you into the Christmas spirit (link):